We had a very enjoyable and educational evening with Jay Charnock FRPS. Here are four things I took away from the evening:
1. When you take away colour from an image you are left with contents; strong colour draw your attention to certain elements in the image. Then it’s up to you what you want to emphasise.
2. Black and white images create mood, atmosphere and feelings
3. Light illuminates and shadows define
4. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
5. When you look at an image ask yourself ‘what is the story behind this picture?’
After the initial introduction to the topic the club members were invited to talk about the images they had brought along.
The photographer talk about their prints and then Jay comments on how that print could have been improved.
During the tea break we had the opportunity to see and discuss her own prints.